Organised by: PRISM Exeter
Date: 15 July 2019 // 19:00
Location: The Workshop, Exeter
Join PRISM Exeter for the third of our 2019 quarterly "Speakers" series.
This time, we're hosting something a little different. Kayisha Payne, founder of UK-wide network, Black British Professionals in STEM, will be leading a workshop on equality, diversity and inclusion in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics.
- Intro (10 mins) - Introductions, background and a bit of context into why Kayisha has been invited.
- Ice breaker (10 mins) - for all participants to get to know each other and set the atmosphere for a safe environment.
- Presentation about Diversity & Inclusion (10mins)
- Interactive workshop in groups - Workshop/group discussion focused on inclusivity, minority groups in science, education and inclusivity initiatives (20 mins)
- Final thoughts and close (10 mins)
About the speaker
Kayisha Payne began her Higher Education journey at Aston University where she read Chemical Engineering. She continued her education at Imperial College London, where she received a Masters’ in Advanced Chemical Engineering with a heavy focus on Biochemical Engineering and Drug Development. During Kayisha’s time in industry, she has amassed experience in the Cosmetic Industry (COTY) as a Process Engineer, playing a key lead in bringing a very popular product to market. She also has Project Management experience working within the Pharmaceutical and Technology team at Mace. Currently, she holds a position as a Scientist at AstraZeneca. Realising the lack of representation of Black individuals in STEM from education right through to industry, as of January 2018, she founded a non-profit organisation named BBSTEM, Black British Professionals in Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths. The aims are to encourage, enable, and energise individuals in education and industry to widen the participation and contribution of Black individuals in STEM.
This is a **FREE** event thanks to generous support from Tech Exeter and the Institute of Physics South West branch - food and drinks will be available to purchase at the main bar in Exeter Phoenix.
Please get in touch with us via our Facebook page for further information or if you require assistance regarding access/accessible seating.